Johnson and his forklift, built on a 1929 Model A Ford chassis, has been a staple in fiesta’s parade for more than 40 years
The antique vehicle with the was used by local dry yard owner Walter Lee who had a business on Bartch Avenue.
Thousands of people lined the downtown parade route to watch the floats, marching bands, car clubs, tin lizzies, baseball and softball teams, politicians and prancing horses.
The Best Float winner, Cub Scouts of Pack 81, followed the “On the Road to Patterson” parade them closely with an float titled, “Our Cub Scout Safari Arrives At The Oasis of Patterson.” The float brought home a trophy and $300 for the local pack.
The Most Entertaining float award went to Patterson Repertory Theatre, whose actors sang and danced their way through town to the tune of the Broadway musical, “Newsies.” They won a trophy and $200 for their efforts.
The Most Inspirational float award went to the Elijah B. Hayes American Legion Post No. 168; an entry honored with a trophy and $200.
Best Band honors went to the Pageantry Arts for California Teens, which earned a trophy and $500.
The Parade Horse Winners for 2013 include Equestrian Grand Sweepstakes winner Claudio Arroyo, who has been a Fiesta parade favorite for 40 years. Arroyo won a trophy and $200.
Other equestrian winners are:
• Matched Pairs, first place, Calaveras Belles
• Mini Horse, first place, Connie Hawkins
• Charro Costume, first place, Rodolfo Mendez
• Plain Western, first place, David Bricknell
• Ladies Side Saddle, first place, Charlie Alamo
• Novelty Mounted Group, first place, STAR Pony Parties; second place, Quadilla Queens
• Charro Mounted Group, first place, Rancho Los Cervantes; second place, Bertha Medina
Contact Maddy Houk at 892-6187, ext. 22, or email@example.com.