Patterson’s Past
Jun 27, 2012 | 1038 views | 0 0 comments | 1 1 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Patterson’s Past

25 years ago — July 2, 1987

Directors of the Westley Community Services District have thrown cold water on a proposal by a Tracy developer to construct 300 new homes near the town. Lack of services was cited.

Mike McNaughton will host a grand opening of his new Patterson Land Co. building on South Third Street, formerly housing the clothing store of the late Charles Correia. Congressman and Majority Whip Tony Coelho is expected to attend.

Reta Muller and Dr. Keith Daniel are the new presidents of the Soroptimist and Rotary clubs, respectively.

The late Jack Patterson’s office on the circle was closed this week. Patterson ran his family’s ranch company from 1921 until his death last year and the city water company until he sold it several years ago to the city. His father, T.W. Patterson, is considered to be the city’s founder.

50 years ago — June 28, 1962,

Patterson’s FDES Pentecostal Celebration this weekend has selected Darlene Soares as its big queen. She was attended by Bette Reis and Alice Neto.

High school trustees, on the recommendation of new Superintendent Thomas Hedden, have approved changing the school’s daily schedule from six one-hour periods to seven periods of 50 minutes each.

Straight-A students during the fourth quarter at Patterson High were sophomores Mark Pepple, Tom French and Kenneth Almquist.

75 years ago — July 2, 1937

Firecrackers and fireworks are banned this year by both the city of Patterson and Stanislaus County. The reason cited is the exceptionally heavy growth of dry grass and brush. A range fire burned about 2,000 acres in the Mount Oso area on the weekend.

The local temperature reached 106 last Sunday.

A state traffic officer assigned two months’ duty on the West Side has been transferred back to Marysville. His replacement may not soon be named.

Due to a technicality, bids for a new county tuberculosis hospital in Del Puerto Canyon have been canceled.

100 years ago — June 27, 1912

The Plaza Mercantile Co. has purchased an International Harvester truck to make local deliveries. A.C. Macomber, who already has a vegetable route here, has been hired as the deliveryman.

Six local motorcyclists made a round trip to Sacramento on Saturday, leaving at 4:30 a.m. and returning at 8 p.m. They required four hours to get to Stockton. Only a few minor breakdowns and spills marred the trip.

The Standard Oil station’s prize team of Ben and Dick are now pulling a new wagon.

Twelve new residential streetlights were turned on Monday night for the first time.

Newman jeweler G. Ingram Deane has opened a shop here, subleasing from Eddlemon’s confectionary store in the Leverton building on North Third Street.

The first meeting in Patterson of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union took place last week.

—Irrigator archives

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at news@pattersonirrigator.com.