Patterson's Past
by PI Staff
Nov 21, 2012 | 965 views | 0 0 comments | 4 4 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago — Nov. 26, 1987

Mike Azevedo has been tapped to serve as president of the Patterson Apricot Fiesta, while Chris Bingham will return for another year as its general chairwoman.

Ruth Sierra of Patterson has received the Award of Merit, the top honor bestowed upon volunteers at the district level of the Boy Scouts. Her elder son Michael is an Eagle Scout, and younger son Matthew is in the Webelos program.

David Chavez has been named the most valuable player on this fall’s Patterson High football team.

50 years ago — Nov. 22, 1962

It was announced this week that as many as 150 engineers will work out of the recently opened state Department of Water Resources office in Patterson. They will work on construction of the California Aqueduct.

The athletic fund at Patterson High is in the red about $1,500, and students participating in sports programs will go door-to-door selling season basketball game tickets at $4 each.

A “Patterson Churches Welcome You” sign has been erected in the downtown park by the Patterson Ministerial Association.

75 years ago — Nov. 26, 1937

Elementary school enrollment continues to decline and is about 35 less than at the same date last year. It is expected to increase, however, as soon as cotton picking is over.

The Patterson High and alumni football teams battled to a 7-7 tie in the last action of the gridiron season. Several college players saw action for the alumni.

This newspaper is pushing for safety features for East Las Palmas Avenue and the road across the new San Joaquin River Bridge. The road has neither signage nor a stripe down the middle, making it hazardous in the fog.

100 years ago — Nov. 21, 1912

The Norwegian Lutheran Church has announced plans to construct a building at the corner of Las Palmas Avenue and Sixth Street. It will be built with day labor under the supervision of Thorvald E. Noding.

A sheep corral and hog pens in the south part of town have been ordered removed by the county health officer.

The Farmers’ Association is exploring the possibility of acquiring land in the Patterson area to use as fairgrounds. The Patterson Athletic Club has expressed interest in renting the grounds.

— Irrigator archives

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at news@pattersonirrigator.com.