Patterson's Past
by Ron Swift | Patterson Irrigator
Dec 13, 2012 | 907 views | 0 0 comments | 4 4 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago — Dec. 17, 1987

Patterson’s population is estimated at 6,600, up about 1,400 residents in the past two years.

New families are moving into the community at a rate of 20 to 25 a month.

The grandson of “Mahatma” Mohandas K. Gandhi visited Patterson last Saturday, the guest of new residents Baren and Karabi Sen.

The 11th annual Patterson High basketball tournament began this week.

The high school auditorium, built in 1940 and used for numerous school and community functions, has received a $50,000 facelift using state Lottery funds.

50 years ago — Dec. 12, 1962

Patterson’s Julius Boschi and Les Hirdes of Turlock placed first in the team roping event at the National Finals Rodeo in the Los Angeles Sports Arena. They roped eight steers in 137 seconds.

Bart Martini has been named temporary chairman of the new Patterson Toastmasters Club.

The Venture Club is offering free gift wrapping this Christmas season. A small donation is requested to cover the cost of materials.

A bridal shower has been held for Rosemarie Azevedo, who is engaged to marry Donald Starcher.

75 years ago — Dec. 17, 1937

A weekend storm dumped 3.58 inches of rain here.

The local American Legion post has won the district plaque for showing the highest gain in membership.

A Junior Christian Endeavor Society has been organized at the Federated Church, with 24 charter members. Marjorie Needham was elected president and Allister Allen first vice president.

Frank McConnell has been elected worshipful master of the Patterson Masonic Lodge.

100 years ago — Dec. 12, 1912

The Ellis-Hoffman Co., one of Patterson’s first retailers, is selling off its merchandise and closing its doors, citing business interests elsewhere as the reason for closing.

Work on the new telephone system is about complete. The Evans Telephone Co. is only awaiting arrival of its switchboard before starting service.

The Hoe Restaurant has closed now that owners Mr. and Mrs. Luttrell have opened their new Welty Hotel. A vegetable store may open in the restaurant site.

— Irrigator archives

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet

We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at