Patterson's Past
by Ron Swift | Patterson Irrigator
Mar 21, 2013 | 907 views | 0 0 comments | 27 27 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago — March 17, 1988

With St. Patrick’s Day being observed this week, some in the local business community have taken to wearing bright green T-shirts emblazed with the words “Shop In Patterson” on the front.

A Modesto motorcyclist who ran off Highway 33 north of Westley threw dirt on the roadway to attract attention to his plight. He was found three hours later by Dan Rodrick, who was heading to work in Tracy.

Voters countywide strongly favor waste-to-energy and tire-disposal plants but oppose further expansion of a huge pile of an estimated 42 million tires in the hills northwest of Westley, a survey has shown.

50 years ago — March 21, 1963

Local service and business organizations have combined to sponsor a junior livestock show for Patterson 4-H and FFA clubs. Many local businesses will close Saturday from noon to 1 p.m., while the Lions Club is offering a free bean feed.

Ed Freidel, who previously served eight years on the City Council, has been appointed to that body to fill out the unexpired term of Tom Lawson, who has been hired as Patterson’s city clerk.

Ken Tyler of Crows Landing has won the Lions zone Student Speakers Contest. Emerald Halseth of the Patterson club chaired the event.

George Tiura will become the next president of the Rotary Club, succeeding O.N. Minniear.

75 years ago — March 25, 1938

New shelling equipment for the pea harvest arrived in Westley. The crop will be shelled in the field and then rushed by truck to a freezing plant in San Jose.

Past active members of Patterson’s 20-30 Club have formed their own organization, electing Harold Frame as the first president.

The local apricot crop has been hit hard by wet weather during the blossoming period. It is estimated that 80 percent of the crop has been lost in some orchards.

100 years ago — March 20, 1913

About 2,000 acres of river-bottom land owned by the Patterson Ranch Co. will be reclaimed with the addition of a levee up to six miles in length. A contractor using about 200 horses and mules has already begun work.

A meeting will take place Saturday evening to organize a town baseball team for Patterson, one that would compete against other teams in the area.

The Patterson Ranch Co. is planting olive trees along both sides of Second Street from the northern border of the community to Emerald Station on the south, about a mile in length.

The Rev. W.H. Mumper of the Methodist Church preached his final sermon Sunday before the first federated gathering of the Methodist and Presbyterian congregation. He is leaving for a position in Fresno.

—Irrigator archives

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at news@pattersonirrigator.com.