Patterson's Past
by Ron Swift | Patterson Irrigator
Apr 18, 2013 | 1018 views | 0 0 comments | 103 103 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago — April 14, 1988

The 3-cent postage increase that went into effect Monday created long lines at the local post office. Postmaster Sandy McDowell reports that more than 10,000 3-centers were sold early this week.

The former Olson house on East Las Palmas Avenue is being moved by owner Harold Hill to an Elm Avenue location. It is one of the earlier houses built here in 1910, when town founder T.W. Patterson encouraged large, stately homes on the palm-lined street.

Patterson resident Mike Mattos will be staging the 10th annual Military Vehicle Collectors’ Meet in Del Puerto Canyon late this month.

50 years ago — April 18, 1963

Ore N. Minniear started his career with Stanislaus County in 1932 as a probation department employee. He started the first camp in Del Puerto Canyon for delinquent boys, the first of its kind in the state. It later became an adult road camp. He will retire May 1 from his long career.

Shirley Rapp of Crows Landing has won this newspaper’s subscription contest, winning a prize of $250, while her mother won $200 after being named honor mother.

High school trustees Martin Bronzan and Richard Phillips were re-elected this week, while incumbents Robert Arambel and Ray Kolding were returned to the Patterson Elementary board. Bronzan, a former Rising Sun District trustee who was not running in that race, topped the write-in tally with 18 votes but will not serve there.

75 years ago — April 22, 1938

With between 1,500 and 2,000 migratory farm workers camped in the area, and more arriving hourly, a crisis has developed. The need for a temporary camp is evident, as 312 families are squatted within two miles of Westley. More are near Grayson, and Patterson has two unofficial camps. At the same time, a San Francisco firm has submitted a low bid of $54,288 to build permanent migrant housing at Westley.

Patterson Garden Club will stage its fifth annual flower show this Saturday. The show was started by the 20-30 Club, which continues its support.

Disgusted with Santa Clara County officials, ranchers in the San Antonio Valley took it on themselves to complete a quarter-mile section of road to link with the Del Puerto Canyon Road, allowing for through transportation.

100 years ago — April 19, 1913

Local schoolchildren are preparing for a May Day celebration in the downtown park.

Night watchman J.W. Blue, hired recently by the Patterson Ranch Co., found a small fire burning Monday night in a laundry building behind the Hotel Del Puerto.

Bids are being received for an addition to the Patterson grammar school. Voters approved a $35,000 bond issue some time ago.

The Charles Zacharias Co. has drilled a deep irrigation well northwest of Patterson and is getting 950 gallons a minute on land previously dry-farmed.

—Irrigator archives

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet

We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at