Patterson's Past
by Ron Swift | Patterson Irrigator
May 09, 2013 | 805 views | 0 0 comments | 167 167 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago — May 5, 1988

Lead-based paint has been found in all but five of the 50 migrant housing units in Patterson, causing officials to delay the seasonal opening. The delay has left some migrant families living in their cars.

The Patterson Boy Scouts were on hand last Saturday to see the Giants fall to the Cubs in 13 innings. The Scouts have not witnessed the Giants or the A’s win a game in the past five years.

One of the large homes on East Las Palmas Avenue, this one constructed in 1912 and known as the Olson house, was moved Wednesday morning by owner Harold Hill to a Sycamore Avenue location.

50 years ago — May 9, 1963

Tomatoes grown in Patterson received a plug the other day by radio announcer Russ Hodges. Calling the Giants-Mets game from New York, he said that because the refreshment stand was so far away, he provided his own — Patterson tomatoes.

Local officials were on hand Sunday afternoon for a ceremony to officially dedicate the new Sacred Heart Catholic School.

Five local FFA members attended the 35th annual convention of their state organization in San Luis Obispo, where Charles Gustafson received the State Farmer degree. Others were Henry Homen, Ed Torrison, Larry Buehner and Ken Williams. They were accompanied by FFA adviser Bill Walker.

75 years ago — May 13, 1938

The city may soon launch a curb and gutter project, taking advantage of federal work funding if it is available.

Traffic officer E.L. McCabe is cracking down on local speeders.

Southern Pacific Railroad is protesting a Patterson Chamber of Commerce request to install three signal crossings between Patterson and Vernalis where the roadway swings across its tracks. The total cost is estimated to be $7,000.

100 years ago — May 9, 1913

The federation agreement between the First Presbyterian Church and the First Methodist Episcopal Church was dissolved this week, and hereafter the two will be conducted separately as they were before. However, the Methodists will continue to meet in the Presbyterian building until they choose to construct their own building.

The county exam for those hoping to graduate from the eighth grade may be held in Patterson this year, as local enrollment exceeds that in Crows Landing and Newman. Local students went to Newman a year ago for the test.

About 30 elementary pupils missed school this week, many with the measles.

Eight new members of the local camp of Woodmen of the World will soon be initiated.

Local school trustees will soon travel around the Colony by auto to look at potential sites for two rural schools. The sites being discussed are at the corners of Elm and Pomegranate avenues in the southern part of the Colony and Lemon and Sycamore to the north. All rural parents who reside more than two miles from the grammar school are invited to attend two separate meetings in May to discuss the issue.

— Irrigator archives

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at news@pattersonirrigator.com.