Patterson's Past
by Ron Swift | Patterson Irrigator
Nov 27, 2013 | 970 views | 0 0 comments | 162 162 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago – December 1, 1988

The city has scheduled a third town hall meeting to discuss potential growth as it works toward updating Patterson’s general plan.

Oakland-based Arambel & Rose Development Co. has plans to construct 70 new homes on Grayson’s north side. A 24-lot subdivision in Grayson received county approval early this year.

Del Puerto Hospital Director Lynne Hale has retired after eight years on its Board of Directors, but not without some fiery words about the past, and caution urged for the future.

50 years ago – November 28, 1963

Patterson’s Ernie Rose has been named to the Gulf Marine Racing Hall of Fame, located in Houston, Texas. His photo with the famed Lil’ Bee will appear at the upcoming New York Boat Show.

First Western Bank, located in the historic building on Patterson’s downtown circle, has purchased land just behind it for a new building.

The county’s Health Department has declared the jail facilities in the Patterson Justice Court building to be unsanitary. The jail receives no janitorial service.

Local churches were filled to the brim Sunday morning as Pattersonites mourned the death of President John F. Kennedy. A community service was then held that afternoon at Sacred Heart Catholic Church, with the Boy Scouts presenting the colors.

75 years ago – November 25, 1938

A federal Public Works Administration grant of $45,000 will be added to the $55,000 approved by the voters in August to construct an auditorium and two classrooms at the high school.

The Rev. C.A. Hedlind has resigned his pastorate and the Covenant Church because of serious injuries received in a vehicle accident four months. He has served the local church for eight years. At the Federated Church, Pastor John White suffered a serious heart attack on Sunday.

Turkeys grown at El Solyo Ranch near Vernalis were featured in Sunday’s rotogravure section of the San Francisco Chronicle.

The alumni team and the Patterson High gridders played to a 6-6 tie after tying 7-all last year. Carl Frunz passed to Stanley Ghisletta from 25 yards out for the alumni score, while the varsity points came on an intercepted pass.

100 years ago – November 29, 1913

Chamber of Commerce representatives from both Patterson and Crows Landing met last week to discuss the proposed road over Mt. Hamilton to San Jose. The latter group favors the road coming down Salado Canyon.

Downtown business owners on South Third Street assessed themselves $10 per lot to have the dirt street graveled before winter sets in. Walnut Avenue farmers used a drag pulled by four horses to improve over two miles of their roadway, the project costing $2.75.

The basketball games with Los Banos High, recently postponed because of bad weather, have been rescheduled for Dec. 6 on the grammar school grounds. The lineup for the local boys will be Justus Christopherson, Orlando Olson, Ingolf Torvend, Solomon Meisner and team captain Glen Hanner. The girls’ team has not been announced.

The price of the upcoming firemen’s dinner-dance will be $1, with women admitted free.

— Irrigator archives

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet

We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at