Patterson's Past
Dec 17, 2013 | 1018 views | 0 0 comments | 179 179 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago – December 22, 1988

Will industrial development in Patterson be a part of the community’s future? That topic will be discussed in City Hall in the early part of the coming year. Patterson Frozen Foods remains the city’s largest employer.

Melo Machine & Manufacturing will be the name of the business purchased by Jim Melo from Homer Johnson last March. The name will change at the first of the year.

The Patterson Irrigator staff sends its holiday greetings to the community. Staffers are Ron and Kay Swift, Ken Carlson, Todd Hansen, Carolyn Walker, Maddy Houk, Joan Walker, Dianna Penland, Ben Swift, Hank Kosko, Harold Swift, Dewey Staats, and John Scheel.

Eric Terrero netted 86 points in the three games of the Patterson Invitational Tournament, setting a tourney record. The Tigers fell to Los Banos, 71-69, in the championship game.

50 years ago – December 19, 1963

Local Chevrolet dealer Paul Snider is acquiring the Olds and Buick dealerships from Lyle Johnson. The latter will retain the International truck dealership.

The West Side Auto Club will hold its annual auto show this Friday and Saturday at the FDES Hall.

A grand opening of its new building will be held this Saturday at Klein’s Super Save, owner Roy Klein announces.

75 years ago – December 16, 1938

Everything from a Christmas charity dance at the Hotel del Puerto to special services at the Sacred Heart Catholic, Federated, Bethel, Lutheran and Covenant churches are planned in the week leading up to the holiday. The annual Christmas pageant will be given Sunday afternoon in the gym by high school students. On Dec. 23, the Chamber of Commerce will be passing out gifts to the children around the Christmas tree in Plaza Park.

Used clothing items that are badly needed at this time of year will be collected over the holidays by the Boy Scouts.

The county’s road camp in Del Puerto Canyon is currently averaging about 60 prisoners, far above its intended capacity, reports Superintendent Ore Minniear.

100 years ago – December 20, 1913

At a community meeting last Saturday to discuss the upcoming bond election to finance construction of a high school building, not a dissenting voice was heard. “Investing in the community” was the theme of many who commented.

Consideration of a road linking Patterson with Modesto and Turlock is back on the table.

A community Christmas program will be held the evening of Dec. 24 in the Leverton hall, while the Baptist Church will offer entertainment in the Patterson Theater building.

R.G. Marshall, chief geographer with the U.S. Geological Survey who owns land in the Crows Landing area, has created considerable interest in his proposal for a huge irrigation system to serve the Sacramento and San Joaquin valleys.

-Irrigator Archives

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at news@pattersonirrigator.com.