Patterson's Past
Mar 11, 2014 | 1100 views | 0 0 comments | 174 174 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago – March 16, 1989

On a week in which teenager Donna Ashlock was laid to rest, 24-year-old Jill Delphia received great medical news as she fights for her life in a battle against mylogenous leukemia. Preliminary donors have been found with a rare blood type that matches that of Delphia.

Marilyn Hoobler has started her duties as the Apricot Fiesta’s secretary, the non-profit organization’s lone paid position. She succeeds Bea Dobbel but previously served as secretary in 1984-85.

Patterson High senior Eric Terrero has been named to the all-district team, the first from the local school to be so honored. He led the district in scoring at over 23 points per game and also averaged 12 rebounds. He also was Patterson’s lone honoree on the all-TVL team.

50 years ago – March 12, 1964

Charles Lewis has been named the manager of First Western Bank here.

Dr. Vernon Goutiere is off spending three weeks in India where he will visit the place of his birth, which he hasn’t visited for 38 years.

Julie Ann Rapp has won the Lions Club’s zone student speakers contest. She will move on to the regional competition.

As the newly unified school district becomes official July 1, new school administrators have been announced. Donald Emery will be principal at Patterson High, Fran Wilkinson at Las Palmas and Northmead, Morris Kyle at Grayson and Al Morgan at Rising Sun, where he will also teach. Their annual salaries will range from $8,000 to $9,200.

The City Council has permanently tabled consideration of changing Patterson’s house numbering plan to conform to that to be used by the county.

75 years ago – March 17, 1939

Construction of the new auditorium on high school grounds is progressing well.

Patterson High’s B basketball team won the West Side League title under the coaching of Lawrence Harrison, beating Manteca 26-18 in their final game.

Both Stan and Stewart Cox led the Modesto Junior College ski team to a first place finish at Badger Pass, scoring points in downhill, cross-country and slalom events.

100 years ago – March 14, 1914

Word has been received from Adler Sanitarium in the Bay Area that town founder T.W. Patterson has taken a turn for the worse and has undergone a second surgery for a stomach ulcer. One of his physicians is his wife’s brother, Dr. J.P. Bernard of Fresno.

Bond financing has been arranged for construction of the new high school building, and bids for the work will be opened April 4.

Members of the Church of the Brethren plan to erect a new $4,000 brick building at the corner of Las Palmas Avenue and Fifth Street. It will replace a frame structure.

Formation of the Patterson Judicial District was approved this week by the Board of Supervisors, splitting off this area from the Newman district. J.M. Kerr was appointed justice of the peace and Charles Morehouse is the new constable.

Night watchman J.W. Blue is seeking subscriptions from business owners to pay his salary for the next year.

—Ron Swift, museum curator

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at news@pattersonirrigator.com.