Patterson's Past
Apr 08, 2014 | 764 views | 0 0 comments | 133 133 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago – April 13, 1989

The Northmead School cafeteria has been refurbished and is now in use.

Two full pages of letters – 10 of them in all – are included in this week’s Patterson Irrigator. (Ed. Note: The page size 50 years ago was twice the present size.)

A major West Coast bicycle race over Memorial Day weekend will start in San Jose, climb up over Mt. Hamilton, and conclude in Patterson. It is expected to draw 725 riders.

50 years ago – April 9, 1964

The Patterson 20-30 Club claimed top honors in the fifth annual raft race on the San Joaquin River sponsored by the West Side Sportsmen’s Club. The winners passed the Scout Explorers, who had led all the way, in the last 100 yards. The winning time was two hours and 30 minutes flat.

Patterson’s new emergency truck operated by the volunteer fire department has now been equipped to handle all types of emergencies, according to Chief Ossie Ball.

Three Patterson-owned boats are racing this season in the B-runabout class. Boats owned by Natz Tabar and Wayland Fink have joined in the competition with Ernie Rose, who has been winning top honors for several years. Rose is the only one driving his own boat.

75 years ago – April 9, 1939

The Patterson Fishermen’s Club is considering a proposal for erecting a clubhouse on the former golf course property near the river.

Patterson’s American Legion post is leading the district in membership; the total now stands at 83.

The emergency landing field west of Westley may soon be abandoned by the Department of Commerce. It has been moved closer to Westley in more direct line with San Francisco to Los Angeles air traffic.

100 years ago – April 11, 1914

The Patterson Bartlett Pear Syndicate has organized and held a ceremony at which the first pear tree was planted by Mrs. F.S. Harrison, wife of the secretary-treasurer of the association. The syndicate owns river bottom land where pears are expected to prosper.

The quarterly meeting of the Women’s Alliance was held but a report of the cemetery committee was not available. The committee is looking for rural property for a local cemetery.

A Patterson hardball team has been formed and defeated the Standard Oil Co. ‘nine’ 10-9 last Sunday.

E.F. Hibbard has built his family a fine home on North Fifth Street and is constructing another next door that will be rented to Dr. L.C. Perdue.

Little interest was shown in last week’s school trustee election. Incumbent Ralph Zacharias ran unopposed for another team on the high school board, while in the elementary district race, prominent farmer J.W. Hanner edged incumbent C.A Sperry, 33-32. E.R. Leedy and L.H. Locken received a small number of write-in votes in both districts. They were not candidates for office.

—Ron Swift, museum curator

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at news@pattersonirrigator.com.