Patterson's Past
Aug 14, 2014 | 732 views | 0 0 comments | 0 0 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago – August 17, 1989

The city has earmarked $20,000 in state Parks and Recreation Department funds for restoration work on the Center Building which houses Patterson’s museum.

Nine Patterson Boy Scouts and two adult leaders have returned from the Washington, D.C. area where they toured historic sites and visited the National Jamboree in Virginia. Troop 81 also has six Scouts attending the jamboree. They will return in a few days.

Three incumbents will face three challengers in November’s school board race. The incumbents are Greg Petz, Sam Cuellar Jr, and Diana Haile. Other candidates for three seats on the board are John Mataka, Kenneth Tyler and Al Brizard.

50 years ago – August 13, 1964

O.S. Ball, Patterson’s fire chief since 1929, will step down Sept. 1. First Assistant Chief Wade Cripe will move up to succeed Ball at a salary of $180 a month from the rural district and another $120 from the city.

Julie Ann Rapp of Crows Landing is the sweepstakes winner of the baking division at the County Fair, succeeding her mother who won the honor the past five years but retired this summer. Julie Ann, 16, took home 40 ribbons, 16 of them blue.

Tony Cooper has purchased the downtown Chevron Service from Ed Heinzle.

75 years ago – August 11, 1939

Some 150 carloads of melons were shipped from the Westley packing shed in the past two weeks, according to a Southern Pacific spokesman.

Camp Westley downed the Patterson baseball team 11-10 in a 13-inning marathon played Sunday.

The City Council may soon approve a special census, believing that the current estimate of 1500 is too high, causing the city’s insurance costs to be increased.

The cost of the recent Horsethief Bend celebration was about $2500, resulting in a profit of some $150 to be split between the sponsoring American Legion and the Fishermen’s Club.

100 years ago – August 15, 1914

Those interested in establishing a local cheese factory will meet at the grammar school.

J.H. Evans, president of the local Evans Telephone Co. here, has applied to the county for a right-of-way down East Las Palmas Avenue to provide phone service to those east of Patterson. The proposal is opposed by the Patterson Ranch Co., which claims the poles would be unsightly on the scenic boulevard. Instead it suggests the poles be placed on the back property lines.

The Patterson Merchants Association has been formed by downtown businesses, its membership now totaling 16.

By Ron Swift, museum curator
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet

We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at