Patterson's Past
Apr 18, 2012 | 500 views | 0 0 comments | 2 2 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago — April 23, 1987

The Military Vehicle Collectors’ Club, hosted by Patterson’s Mike Mattos, will host its ninth annual meet this weekend in Del Puerto Canyon. It is the largest event of its type on the West Coast. Mattos hopes to attract the national gathering next year.

Families residing in new homes in the Colony Park II subdivision are planning a get-acquainted party May 2.

Ground was broken this week in the Kinshire Estates housing project south of Sperry Avenue.

50 years ago — April 19, 1962

Mario Ielmini has been elected by his fellow councilmen to serve a second two-year term as mayor. He has served on the council since 1952.

Myrtle Wellemeyer will retire after 30 years of teaching English at Patterson High School. Edna Stewart, who worked 34 years as a third-grade teacher and vice principal at Northmead School, will do the same at the end of the school year.

Margaret Woolley’s entry in the Smithsonian Institute’s art show in Washington, D.C., has received first-prize recognition. She was an art instructor at Patterson High for 20 years.

Joyce Thorkelson, a senior at Fresno State University, has been selected to serve in the Peace Corps.

75 years ago — April 23, 1937

Operations at the Red Mountain magnesite mine in Del Puerto Canyon have been stopped and equipment is being removed. The mine was reopened about a year ago by the California Chemical Co., which also operates the Maltby mine on the opposite side of Red Mountain.

Famous College of the Pacific football coach Alonzo Stagg will be the speaker at Friday night’s big sport carnival in the high school gym. The program also will include college boxing and wrestling, along with a special boxing match pitting locals Frank Hicks against Art Hall.

The Federated Church congregation has decided to enlarge its present church structure rather than adding a new auditorium due to the costs involved. Fire destroyed the original building.

A total of 349 exhibits at the fourth annual Patterson Garden Club flower show set a new record.

100 years ago — April 18, 1912

The first Sunday service in the new Swedish Mission Covenant Church drew a congregation of 120, not counting children.

The Bank of Patterson moved Monday from the post office building into its new building across the street. Moving the safe took considerable effort.

Patterson’s newly formed fire department will soon purchase $500 of equipment including 600 feet of hose, a new hose cart and a 40-gallon chemical engine. Town founder T.W. Patterson has agreed to pay half of the cost.

A long-awaited drama presentation of “The Borrowed Wife” will be presented Saturday night in the grammar school auditorium. Proceeds will go toward the purchase of a piano for the school. Various community members have roles in the play.

George Speich of Sacramento has opened a bakery here in the new brick building on Del Puerto Avenue.

J.B. Leverton, who is erecting a two-story structure on North Third Street, has leased the ground floor to a Mr. Eddlemon of Newman, who will put in a confectionary store.

Modern Woodmen have more than enough sign-ups to organize a unit here, called a camp.

—Irrigator archives

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at news@pattersonirrigator.com.