Patterson's Past
Feb 27, 2013 | 933 views | 0 0 comments | 4 4 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago — Feb. 25, 1988

Mary Thon is the new secretary of the Patterson-Westley Chamber of Commerce and will be in the chamber office in the Center Building three mornings a week.

Patterson Boy Scouts are claiming credit for breaking the area’s mini-drought. They camped overnight at the Pinnacles, their first outing since November, when they took a trip to Angel Island. The rain poured during both campouts.

Madeline Silveira is the new Apricot Fiesta secretary, succeeding Ina Law.

50 years ago — Feb. 28, 1963

City Councilman Tom Lawson is stepping down from his elected position to become Patterson’s city clerk.

Joyce Thorkelson writes from Nepal, where she is serving in the Peace Corps.

Lee Frunz dropped in 21 points as the Simmons and Wheeland team upended Bessey Motors 100-74 to win the City League basketball title. He was named the league’s MVP. Bob Rodney of the Bessey team was the high scorer with 25.

75 years ago — March 5, 1938

Patterson now has a Cub Scout pack. About a dozen boys ages 9 to 11 signed up Tuesday night.

Stanley Cox placed third in the men’s cross-country ski race at last weekend’s Tuolumne County Snow Carnival. He is in his first year of skiing.

The Patterson American Legion post held an old-timers night to celebrate the national organization’s 20th anniversary of its founding. The local post was chartered Dec. 1, 1919.

100 years ago — Feb. 27, 1913

The Rev. Irving Bristol of San Francisco, president of the Anti-Saloon League, will speak here Sunday evening at the Presbyterian Church.

The Crows Landing Women’s Improvement Club and the Native Sons are exploring plans to build a new community hall to replace a ramshackle barn now used for that purpose.

About 35 young people gathered last Saturday evening at the home of B.W. Hayes on Olive Avenue to organize a debating society.

Three local English-speaking churches have been in discussion about combining to become the Federated Churches of Patterson for a trial three-year period. They probably would hire one pastor. The churches are the First Presbyterian Church, the First Methodist Episcopal Church and the First Baptist Church of Patterson. A decision will soon be made.

The Ideal Millinery Store has opened, featuring spring styles, including some from Paris.

Peter Ojeda has sold his dyeing and cleaning business to R.W. Hays, who will combine it with his tailoring stop in the Plaza Building.

— Irrigator archives

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet

We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at