Patterson's Past, Oct. 31
Oct 30, 2013 | 815 views | 0 0 comments | 171 171 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago – October 27, 1988

Although Mayor Wade Bingham says he has no preference on the direction Patterson will expand, he points out that pressure to grow to the west is mounting.

Just two weeks prior to the election, Dr. Albert Anderson has withdrawn as a candidate for a seat on the Patterson District Hospital’s Board of Directors. He has served on the board eight years.

Mary Betancourt has been crowned Homecoming queen at Patterson High School.

50 years ago – October 31, 1963

Chris Bingham will co-chair the newly formed Friends of the Library organization.

A hearing is scheduled here for a proposed house-numbering plan for the rural area of the West Side. The numbers would start at the county line at Vernalis and would increase 1000 to the mile in a southward direction.

The recently approved Patterson Unified School District will hold a special election in January to elect its first trustees.

75 years ago – October 28, 1938

The Patterson 20-30 Club is hosting a free Halloween show for local kids at the Patterson Theatre. It will feature Edgar Bergen and Charley McCarthy.

The Fishermen’s Carnival at the river last weekend saw Joe Manetti copping first prize with a 17-pound salmon. Roy Anderson was a close second with a 16-pounder.

LaBelle Carroll, a member of the San Francisco Ballet Opera Company, will open a school of dance here. Registration is at the W.C. Filippini home.

100 years ago – November 1, 1913

A portable X-ray machine of the latest design has been added to the office equipment of Dr. A.M. Field.

Going for a Sunday afternoon buggy ride south of town, Elmer and Vada Fink suffered minor injuries in a turnover when a line broke and the horse bolted,

The Socialist local will meet every other Tuesday in the Leverton building. A constitution has been adopted and officers elected.

PG&E is running a 3-mile electric power line to serve the new pump on the Charles Zacharias Co. property north of Patterson.

Plans for a high school building in Patterson are to be received today. If suitable sketches are approved, the next step will be an election to approve bonds for construction.

The high school student body has selected olive green and white as the school colors. Crimson and grey, green and orange, and black and gold also were considered.

The first telephone in the rural area outside Patterson has been installed by the Evans Telephone Co. It is at the home of N.J. Blomgren on East Las Palmas Avenue, the residence known as “Sagatun.” Blomgren may be reached at Main 50.

-Irrigator Archives

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at news@pattersonirrigator.com.