A short time later, deputies spoke with the man when he returned to the hospital for medical attention. Though the man refused to cooperate, officers gathered through witness reports that he had been injured when three teenage boys had fired several rounds at the truck he was riding in with a friend, in the same area of east Patterson where police had earlier been dispatched.
The shooter was described as 5 feet tall and perhaps 15 or 16 years old, wearing a dark baseball cap and a khaki striped shirt. A second suspect was described as about 5 feet, 11 inches tall. All three suspects were thought to be Latino.
• 1:09 a.m.: Reports of glass breaking and screaming led deputies to a home on the 500 block Clover Avenue, where they found two intoxicated boys, 15 and 17, trespassing in a woman’s backyard. When she yelled at them to leave, they reportedly pushed over a glass object, shattering it. After the 17-year-old allegedly kicked and spat at a deputy and the 15-year-old tried to interfere with his arrest, both boys were booked into Juvenile Hall in Modesto on suspicion of assaulting an officer and trespassing.
• 1 p.m.: Police took an identity theft report from a woman who said she had discovered that an unknown person had used her Social Security account number during the past year to collect several thousand dollars in unemployment benefits.
• 10:18 p.m.: A witness reported a hit-and-run to police involving a white utility truck that reportedly caused significant damage to a light pole along the 1300 block of New Forest Way after the driver ran into the pole and then fled.
• 6:23 a.m.: A blue Dodge Caravan minivan was reported as stolen from in front of the owner’s house on the 100 block of Nobel Park Circle. The victim believed the vehicle was taken during the previous night.
• 2:10 p.m.: Police arrested Michael Betancourt, 24, of Patterson, on charges related to drug possession after they went to speak with him about an unrelated matter at his home on the 600 block of Ward Avenue and found marijuana, methamphetamine and a glass smoking pipe inside his car.
• 4:31 p.m.: According to reports of a home burglary on the 300 block of North First Street, the homeowner told police residents had returned to find a sliding glass door shattered and the home ransacked. Four rifles were reported as stolen.
• Items in this column include a sample of reports in the Patterson Police Services dispatcher’s daily log. Additional information is based on reports from officers. Charges may have been added or dropped as of press time, and all suspects are assumed innocent until proven guilty.