The City Council several years ago officially gave the name of Veterans’ Memorial Park to the south parkland laid out in 1909 by town founder, T.W. Patterson. It previously had no official name.
However, the park with a new name was never officially dedicated, according to Ron Swift, scoutmaster of Patterson Troop 82. A member of his troop recently undertook a project to improve the appearance of several memorial plaques in the park, including one that lists the names of 40 Patterson-area military veterans who lost their lives in the First and Second World Wars, the Korean War, Vietnam War and war on terrorism.
The scouts cleaned the plaques, painted the concrete and chains around the flagpole, and planted flowers around the large rock and plaque listing the veterans killed in action.
For information: Ron Swift, 892-6355 or American Legion, 690-7222.