Johnson, who sought lottery money to refurbish the auditorium after it had fallen into disrepair, graduated from Patterson High School in 1950 and worked more than 39 years for Patterson Joint Unified School District. She started her career at Northmead School in 1964 and transferred to Patterson High School in 1971.
School district trustees approved dedicating the auditorium in Johnson's memory seven years ago shortly after she died. No money was set aside for a dedication, however, so a committee had to seek donations for the sign.
The federal Works Progress Administration built the high school auditorium in 1938. Renovations were completed in 1979.