Patterson's Past
May 03, 2012 | 555 views | 0 0 comments | 2 2 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago — May 7, 1987

Homes are selling well in three new Patterson subdivisions, with many of the buyers being commuters.

Donna Ashlock, the 14-year-old who received a heart transplant in January, has returned home from a short stay in a San Francisco hospital.

Pat Maisetti, former mayor and present member of the Patterson Hospital District board, has been chosen as grand marshal of the upcoming Apricot Fiesta parade.

May 23 will be the 44th anniversary of the commissioning of the Crows Landing Naval Auxiliary Landing Field, and a short ceremony is being planned.

Patterson’s First Baptist Church is undergoing a major renovation. The church continues to grow under the leadership of the Rev. Philip Ensley.

50 years ago — May 3, 1962

Nearly 500 people gathered Monday evening in the high school auditorium to surprise Myrtle Wellemeyer, who this year is concluding 40 years of teaching both English and evening Americanization classes.

High school teachers, whose top salary is $7,750, will not receive an increase in the next school year.

Last Saturday saw the start of home mail service within the city limits of Patterson. Patrons have daily picked up their mail at the post office for more than 50 years.

Legionnaires will consider replacing their clubhouse on East Las Palmas Avenue when they meet in June. The old structure was destroyed by fire April 7.

75 years ago — May 7, 1937

A countywide celebration of the opening of the new Las Palmas bridge across the San Joaquin River is being considered. The Patterson and Turlock American Legion posts are promoting the idea.

The elementary school board has received a petition signed by 34 people requesting that Patterson add a class for kindergarten children.

El Solyo Ranch Manager Roy Pike and his wife hosted the annual spring dance at the ranch. The event drew about 500 people.

100 years ago — May 2, 1912

Presbyterians held their first service in their new building, with interim pastor George B. Greig preaching from the pulpit. A new $750 organ had arrived but not yet been installed.

The four Southern Pacific passenger trains (two south- and two northbound) that pass through Patterson have slightly altered their schedules.

Kirk Bros. submitted the low bid for construction of the Edwards Hardware building on South Third Street, next to Reber & Son’s jewelry store. The low bid price was $2,967.

Firemen will try out their new chemical engine when they meet Monday evening.

Irrigator Editor Elwyn Hoffman has moved into his newly constructed Fifth Street home. His mother, Mrs. M.D. Hoffman, has moved here and will reside with him.

Four more Nebraska families have purchased land in the Patterson Colony.

Palms and other trees have been planted on the grammar school grounds.

—Irrigator archives

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at news@pattersonirrigator.com.