25 years ago — June 18, 1987
The apricot-picking season is about to begin, and local growers are very concerned about the availability of pickers.
Anjanette Lindner is one of only three Stanislaus County students named to the first class of the California State Summer School for the arts. She graduated from Patterson High this spring.
Three young Patterson men have been logging hundreds of miles on their lightweight bicycles while participating in races throughout the state. They are Joe Luna and brothers Luis and Tony Esquivel.
Tammy Callahan, a PHS grad, has completed 22 weeks of cadet training at the CHP Academy.
50 years ago — June 11, 1962
Pat Hamilton, valedictorian of this year’s PHS graduating class, has received the W.W. Cox Award, which is based on scholarship, leadership, spirit and citizenship. The award has been given annually since 1923.
The Patterson Youth Center will be open Saturdays from 8 to 11 p.m. throughout the summer.
John Matteri has opened a new service station, Johnny’s Service, on Highway 33.
Patterson again has an ambulance service. Bruce Thomason, who operated the service until March 15, has agreed to continue with a subsidy of $150 a month from the Del Puerto Hospital District.
75 years ago — June 18, 1937
County supervisors this week opened bids for construction of a new tuberculosis hospital on county property far up Del Puerto Canyon. The low bid was $25,672. Modesto civic leaders and the Modesto Bee are strongly battling against the project.
Effective July 1, outgoing mail service will be greatly curtailed on Sundays.
Otto Seegers, who has served as a fire lookout on Mount Oso since the post was established 12 years ago, has resigned.
100 years ago — June 13, 1912
The new Patterson community band gave its first musical presentation Saturday evening when it performed on North Third Street between the Bank of Patterson and the Leverton building. T.W. Patterson has agreed to pay the band to give weekly concerts on Plaza Park.
The C.A. Sperry orchard is one of the best looking in the colony. His 38 acres includes 500 walnut trees, 1,600 peach trees and 200 pecans, the last an experiment. Potatoes have been planted between the rows of the young orchard.
Three local men have taken the examinations to become rural mail carriers.
The Rev. W.W. Kaler of Newman’s Methodist Episcopal Church is attempting to organize a Methodist church here.
The Women’s Christian Temperance Union of Patterson will meet next Tuesday at the Presbyterian Church.
The Chamber of Commerce now has a membership of more than 50.
Contractors are preparing to bid on construction of the new two-story Welty building on South Third Street.
— Irrigator archives