Update: Police arrest weekend shooting suspect
by Nick Rappley | Patterson Irrigator
Jun 20, 2012 | 3656 views | 0 0 comments | 16 16 recommendations | email to a friend | print
One person was arrested and three people sent to area hospitals with non life-threatening injuries in two shootings in Grayson and Patterson over the weekend that authorities say are not connected.

Ruben Rodriguez Ayala, 29, of Patterson was arrested on the 200 block of South Fourth Street on Tuesday, June 19, around 5 p.m. in connection with a 7:30 p.m. Saturday shooting in Patterson that left one Patterson woman injured. He was booked into the Stanislaus County Jail on charges of assault with a deadly weapon, being a felon in possession of a firearm and carjacking.

The other shooting happened Saturday at about 2:30 a.m. According to Sgt. Anthony Bejaran of the Stanislaus County Sheriff’s Department, a 43-year-old and 26-year-old woman were injured while sitting on a park bench on the 8600 block of Stakes Street in Grayson.

No arrests have been made in that incident.

Police learned of Ayala’s whereabouts through investigation Tuesday, Patterson Police Sgt. Paul Yotsuya confirmed.

The victim, whose name has not been released, was shot just before 7:30 p.m. June 16 in Patterson.

Ayala and another unidentified woman had forcefully entered the victim’s car near Olive Avenue and Highway 33, according to a source close to the victim, who did not want to be identified for fear of retribution.

The source said the victim was driving on Highway 33 on her way to a relative’s house on the 900 block of Mary Jane Avenue when a man and a woman jumped into her vehicle and told her to “drive.”

The three ended up near South Del Puerto and Sperry avenues, where the assailants exited the car.

The man then shot at the driver through a rear passenger-side window with a large-caliber handgun, according to the source, and the bullet passed through the center console into her groin and leg. The assailants then ran away, the source said.

After the pair fled on foot, the victim drove to her relative’s house on Mary Jane Avenue, where relatives called 911 for help, the source said.

The victim was hospitalized locally and released after 24 hours. She is recovering from her injuries, the source said.

Yotsuya confirmed the story Wednesday, June 20, and police are still investigating a motive for the shooting, he said.

A large caliber handgun was recovered in connection with the shooting by police, Yotsua said.

Bejaran said there is no connection to the alleged carjacking and the two women shot in Grayson earlier that same day.

The victims in that shooting told investigators that someone in a four door-sedan approached them and shot once, injuring both with a single bullet, Bejaran said.

That incident remains under investigation, he said.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet

We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at news@pattersonirrigator.com.