Patterson's Past
Jun 21, 2012 | 652 views | 0 0 comments | 3 3 recommendations | email to a friend | print


25 years ago — June 25, 1987

The second Grayson-Westley reunion will take place Saturday at Laird Park. The first event drew more than 700.

New Patterson residents voiced their opinions on growth before the City Council, wanting it controlled with adequate parkland and a golfing facility. The second of six hearings will take place Monday, this one seeking the opinions of the community’s youth. Growth committee member Bruce Thompson will lead the hearing.

Patterson High’s Cathy Jurevich will play in the first Lions Club All-Star basketball game Saturday in Turlock.

50 years ago — June 25, 1962

Ground has been broken on North Sixth Street for a new temple building for the Patterson Masonic Lodge. The local lodge was founded Oct. 14, 1920.

Gerald Park has been hired to teach art and English at the high school, while Fred Stone comes from Denair to teach social studies and English and coach football. Stan Beasley will teach typing and physical education and serve as an assistant football coach.

High school trustees have agreed to take the lead in unification studies with the three local elementary districts.

75 years ago — June 25, 1937

The old Mineral Products Co. plant is again operating in Patterson after being shut down for several months. Magnesite is being hauled from the mine west of Gustine for calcining operations here.

A kindergarten class is expected to begin in the fall after a petition obtained the necessary number of signatures. Its cost is projected at $1,000, mostly for the salary of a teacher.

Following the resignation of E. McD. Keller as band instructor, Max Denny of Modesto has been hired to fill the position.

A water study has been initiated for the proposed Central Valley Project.

100 years ago — June 20, 1912

C.J. Carlson recently planted six acres of sweet potatoes along Salado Creek just north of Patterson, and they are doing well.

The Kane-Berlin Co., which has successfully operated a store in Newman, will soon open a Patterson branch in half of the new Taylor building on Del Puerto Avenue. Dry goods and women’s and children’s clothing will be offered. Martin Berlin will move here to manage the business. A furniture store plans to open in the other half of the building.

The Farmers Mutual Fire Insurance Co. of Patterson has been officially organized to serve the farming community.

Several families from Corona have purchased land on Orange and Fig avenues.

—Irrigator archives

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at news@pattersonirrigator.com.