Patterson's Past
Jul 11, 2012 | 920 views | 0 0 comments | 5 5 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago — July 16, 1987

Bonnie Garcia made Patterson history this week. She became the first female member of the local Rotary Club.

The county planning commission and staff are becoming concerned about the growing pile of used tires northwest of Westley in a canyon owned by Ed Filbin.

Local teacher Royce Sappenfield suffered serious leg injuries when he was struck by a vehicle while visiting Washington, D.C.

50 years ago — July 12, 1962

The Patterson Ranch Co. has sold the last sizable parcel of its nearly 20,000 acres that first went on the market in 1909. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints purchased the river-bottom property for $800,000.

Local businessman Al Loumena has opened a self-service laundry on F Street.

Ernie Moeller has been installed as the president of the Lions Club.

Joyce Thorkelson is undergoing Peace Corps training at George Washington University before her departure to Nepal.

75 years ago — July 16, 1937

Work is progressing on the long-sought bridge east of Patterson over the San Joaquin River.

The City Council has restored a stipend of $10 a month to the fire department, an expense that was terminated during tough economic times.

The State Game Farm has released 72 Hungarian pheasants raised in pens by the Patterson Fishermen’s Club on Cox land in the Westley area.

Contractors Knutson and Moe began work this week on long-planned renovation of the Federated Church.

100 years ago — July 11, 1912

In the largest voter turnout in history, Modestans passed an antiliquor initiative this week, 1,087-1,047. Its 11 saloons must close within 10 days.

Work has started on the construction of a movie theater on the south side of Del Puerto Avenue at the alley.

The Patterson and Newman teams battled to a 6-all tie in a game played near the river during the Fourth of July celebration. The game was called after 11 innings so that the Newman players could catch the 5:35 p.m. train for a ride home.

N.W. Jose, the owner of the Patterson Harness Shop, will soon move his business to a structure being erected between Witten’s meat market and the Mattencci building.

Shimmon Bros. attracted considerable attention at the Fourth of July celebration with a demonstration of the new Velie wrought-iron buggy.

Patterson residents now have a choice of attending five churches: Church of the Brethren, Church of Christ, Presbyterian, Methodist and Swedish Mission.

—Irrigator archives

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet

We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at