The city is asking residents to suggest names of streets in new subdivisions.
As Patterson grows in population, new residents are slowing switching their business to this city’s three banking institutions.
Mark Kuhn, chairman of the city’s growth committee appointed by Mayor Wade Bingham, will present the growth report at Tuesday’s City Council meeting.
50 years ago — Aug. 9, 1962
Pattersonites did very well in the Stanislaus County Fair with Kathy Barnes and Joni DeLash taking home blue ribbons from the clothing and textile division. Other winners were Janice Tosta, Alice Burrel, Jackie Thulin, Jerry Thulin and Linda Brunswick, all of Crows Landing.
A good price and steady demand have aided the marketing of the local melon crop, which got off to a slow seasonal start.
The federal government is relinquishing ownership of the 640-acre former military airstrip near Vernalis. The state is talking about a youth correctional facility at the site.
Patterson’s Red Cross water safety program attracted 229 participants this summer, including 15 adults.
75 years ago — Aug. 13, 1937
A 44-year-old transient fruit picker died of a broken neck when he dove into shallow water in the San Joaquin River.
The Southern Pacific depot here has added two key operators here and will remain open 24 hours a day.
The railroad company also announced the construction of a 150-foot-long warehouse building in Westley. The $18,000 structure is expected to be ready for use this fall.
County supervisors are calling for a second round of bidding on construction of a new tuberculosis hospital to be located in Del Puerto Canyon.
A San Jose man has purchased the Emerald Hotel.
100 years ago — Aug. 8, 1912
Mrs. Severson and Mrs. Bishop, owners of the S-B Restaurant here, were injured when their buggy overturned in the hill country.
Postal officials are considering upping the Patterson office’s classification from fourth to third class. At the present time, all boxes are rented and a waiting list exists.
M. Miller plans to plant eight acres of rhubarb on his Eucalyptus Avenue tract, reserving the other two acres for a new home.
— Patterson Irrigator archives