Patterson's Past
Aug 16, 2012 | 777 views | 0 0 comments | 2 2 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago — Aug. 20, 1987

July was a record-setting month in Patterson for building construction. Permits totaling $4.2 million in construction were issued during the month.

Radar units purchased a year ago by the police department will go into use this Friday in an effort to slow down drivers, according to police Chief Richard Bull.

Both Patterson teams, the Tigres and the Pirates, will begin playoff action this weekend in the Mexican-American Baseball League.

50 years ago — Aug. 16, 1962

The Patterson Union High School District will take the lead in a study of possibly unifying with local districts, including Patterson Elementary, Grayson Elementary and Rising Sun.

Charles Gustafson of the Patterson FFA brought home three blue ribbons and became champion of the livestock show at the county fair. Larry Buehner took top honors in the agricultural mechanics division, while local florist Domingos Farinha garnered a blue ribbon in the floriculture division.

No fewer than 10 babies were born this past week at Del Puerto Hospital.

75 years ago — Aug. 20, 1937

This year’s Horsethief Bend celebration under the sponsorship of the American Legion will be tied with the opening of the Las Palmas bridge across the San Joaquin River sometime this fall.

The West Stanislaus Bean Growers Association will host its second picnic and barbecue this Sunday. About 2,000 pounds of choice beef will be barbecued for the occasion at the picnic ground on the Burkhard Ranch.

El Solyo Ranch Manager Roy M. Pike is heading a statewide campaign to withhold dried fruit in answer to the depressed prices being offered for it.

100 years ago — Aug. 15, 1912

J.H. Evans, the manager of the telephone company in Newman, is arranging to open a phone exchange here. Location of the equipment has not yet been determined.

Dr. L.C. Perdue will be moving here from Chico to practice medicine from his home. He has rented a bungalow on North Fourth Street from John D. Patterson. His son, W.T. Perdue of San Francisco, plans to open a drugstore in the soon-to-be-completed building next to the Burnett Theater. The theater itself is expected to open as soon as seats are installed.

G.R. Dorr, formerly associated with the Plaza Mercantile Co., has gone into business for himself in the Patterson Harness Shop building. His business name is Patterson Supply Co., handling grain and different commodities.

An Oakland dentist, Dr. J.F. Bonham, may soon open an office here.

— Irrigator archives

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at news@pattersonirrigator.com.