Nov. 1, 1937 – July 2, 2012
A memorial celebration of the life of Claude Delphia will be held this Saturday, Sept. 15, from 12:30-3: p.m. at the Federated Church, 45 S. El Circulo. He died July 2 in Turlock after being in declining health for some time.
Claude was born in Modesto and lived on a farm in the Vernalis area before his family moved to Patterson where he attended Northmead School. He graduated from Stevenson School in Pebble Beach in 1957, and then began his first career as an interior designer in Modesto. He later created unique handmade fireplace surrounds, one of which went into a Sylvester Stallone home, and dabbled in photography, becoming a staff member of the Patterson Irrigator staff.
His Delphia grandparents came to the West Side in the 1890s and raised six children. His Carr grandparents settled on a Patterson farm in 1916 and also raised six children.
Mr. Delphia was a founding member of the Patterson Township Historical Society, serving as its first president and later its curator. He also participated in organizing the Patterson Apricot Fiesta in 1971.
In mid-life he was a self-taught computer expert and worked for Stuart’s Fine Furniture, illustrating furniture digitally. He returned to Patterson in 2005 after residing in Ceres for six years and remained active in the Stanislaus County Historical Society. He also wrote columns for the Modesto Bee and the Irrigator.
He was active in the Federated Church, singing in the choir for a number of years and serving as a Presbyterian deacon. He served as chairman of the city’s Planning Commission and on its growth study committee, and was vice president of WS-PACE at the time of his death.
Burial in Patterson District Cemetery was private. He is survived by his step-mother, Virginia Usadel of Patterson, brother Ben Delphia of Michigan, four nieces and nephews, and cousins including Joan Delphia. He was preceded in death by his father John, a former Patterson mayor and Stanislaus County supervisor, and his mother, Gladys Carr Delphia.
Remembrances may be made to the Patterson Township Historical Society, Box 15, Patterson.