Patterson's Past
by Ron Swift | Patterson Irrigator
Sep 27, 2012 | 1112 views | 0 0 comments | 4 4 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago — Oct. 1, 1987

The countdown is on for Sunday’s “Welcome to Patterson” picnic in the downtown park, an opportunity for Patterson’s new and not-so-new residents to mingle and socialize. Entertainment and food are planned.

Patterson High School will be one of 10 area schools recognized for academic improvement and achievement at an upcoming ceremony the county Office of Education will host in Modesto.

The Rev. Lawrence Sailer, pastor of Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church during the past 15 years, will soon retire after reaching his 65th birthday. He has served the local church longer than any other pastor in its 76-year history.

50 years ago — Sept. 27, 1962

Patterson High School athletic teams, all except football, will compete in the Southern League next school year. The football team will play an independent schedule.

Rose Jackson has purchased Pedroni’s Shoe Store and will rename the business The Shoe Box. She has been employed at the store since it opened eight years ago.

Margaret Homen will serve as senior queen and Claudette Alves as junior queen when the St. Anthony’s celebration takes place here this weekend.

The Patterson City Council has unanimously approved a mistletoe abatement ordinance that requires residents to remove the tree-killing plant.

75 years ago — Oct. 1, 1937

Two new cook houses will be constructed at Camp Opportunity, the county’s probation camp in Del Puerto Canyon.

Peter Grischott has been elected president of the Patterson 4-H Club. John Grischott is his secretary-treasurer.

A 10-week night class in bookkeeping will be offered at Patterson High for anyone interested.

100 years ago — Sept. 26, 1912

The Patterson Irrigator office has become a lost-and-found location for the community.

L.H. Williams, in charge of the ditch and levee gang for the Patterson Ranch Co., left Friday for the Los Angeles area to visit relatives. He went by motorcycle.

The Patterson Farmers Association has called a meeting for Saturday evening to discuss starting a rural telephone company.

The recent auction held at the Fred Bartch ranch netted about $6,000. Principal buyers were G. Delphia, J.M. Hammonds, W.W. Cox and N.H. Graves. Bartch has sold the majority of his land holdings and intends to “slow down.”

W.W. Kaler, pastor of the Methodist Church in Newman and the man who is primarily responsible for founding a similar church here, preached his last local sermon on Sunday. He is highly esteemed in Newman, and his congregation there objected to the time he spent in Patterson. A new pastor will begin here soon. Services are held in Leverton Hall.

— Irrigator archives

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at news@pattersonirrigator.com.