The palms were planted along major roadways, including Las Palmas Avenue, where more than 400 grew to maturity all the way to the San Joaquin River and today have historical status.
This photo was taken by town founder T.W. Patterson, probably in late 1909 or early 1910. The view is looking north on North Del Puerto Avenue, then a dirt street with a wooden curb, with the city’s North Park on the right side getting its first trees. The trees were imported from Australia.
— Ron Swift, museum curator