Our palms arrive
by Ron Swift | Patterson Irrigator
Nov 29, 2012 | 689 views | 0 0 comments | 6 6 recommendations | email to a friend | print
rs-history corner--Workers plant palm trees in what became the city's North Park sometime around 1909 or 1910--Patterson Township Historical Society archives
rs-history corner--Workers plant palm trees in what became the city's North Park sometime around 1909 or 1910--Patterson Township Historical Society archives
slideshow
One of the earliest local photos in the archives of the Patterson Township Historical Society’s downtown museum shows the arrival of small palm trees.

The palms were planted along major roadways, including Las Palmas Avenue, where more than 400 grew to maturity all the way to the San Joaquin River and today have historical status.

This photo was taken by town founder T.W. Patterson, probably in late 1909 or early 1910. The view is looking north on North Del Puerto Avenue, then a dirt street with a wooden curb, with the city’s North Park on the right side getting its first trees. The trees were imported from Australia.

— Ron Swift, museum curator

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at news@pattersonirrigator.com.