Patterson’s Past
by Ron Swift | Patterson Irrigator
Mar 14, 2013 | 2141 views | 0 0 comments | 5 5 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago — March 10, 1988

Oxford Energy Inc. has been granted a permit for a tire incineration plant in the hills west of Westley, where a pile of about 40 million tires has nearly filled a canyon.

Patterson may soon have a Kiwanis Club, organizers state.

Six members of the Patterson High basketball teams have earned all-league honors. Senior Mando Santiesteban and junior Eric Terrero were named to the first team and senior David Chavez to the second team. On the girls side, senior Terri Days and junior Wendy Washburn are on the first team, while junior Stephanie Gill made the second.

50 years ago — March 14, 1953

It was announced this week that a new industry, PATCO Lighting & Engineering Corp., will start production in a building on Orange Avenue, manufacturing animated advertising signs.

World traveler Frank Soares of Patterson will soon leave on a European tour that will take him to the Soviet Union.

Ray Yoppini and Leo Tafoya are the new owners of the Mobil Service Station on South Third Street, purchasing the business from Leo Verschelden, who has been in the business some 30 years.

75 years ago — March 18, 1938

Floodwaters continue to cut off roadways leading out of the West Side, and the rainfall total for the season threatens to become the highest since 1890. The total stands at 15.31 inches and most certainly will exceed the high of 16.28 inches recorded in 1893.

Bids are being sought for construction of federal farm labor housing at Westley for migrant workers.

Evans Telephone Co. employee Bill Keffer suffered a broken rib Monday when he pushed too hard while raising a pole.

100 years ago — March 13, 1913

An addition onto the grammar school building was discussed this week by school trustees. It is hoped the enlargement will be finished by Sept. 1.

Plans for a hospital or sanitarium in Patterson are being considered. Hattie Holm of Watsonville was here last week making arrangements for construction of a building.

Charles Morehouse, already Patterson’s constable, has been made a sheriff’s deputy and is the community’s lone law enforcement official.

The newly elected high school trustees are taking a head count of potential students and will soon make plans for classes to begin.

Congregations of the Methodist and Presbyterian churches in Patterson have approved a federation plan by which they will use one pastor. That individual has yet to be hired.

The Patterson Library and Debating Society has held a reorganizational meeting and a subject has been selected for a debate at the next meeting.

Two railcars of stock totaling 75 heifers have arrived here after an 11-day trip from Wisconsin.

— Irrigator archives

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at news@pattersonirrigator.com.