Patterson’s Past
by Ron Swift | Patterson Irrigator
Apr 11, 2013 | 2238 views | 0 0 comments | 64 64 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago — March 31, 1988

John Grischott of Westley, whom some refer to as the “mayor” of that community, has retired after 37 years in the service station and tire repair business.

The Patterson Township Historical Society has netted $1,500 from the sale of obsolete Patterson City Water Co. stock certificates.

The first class mail rate will increase to 25 cents on Sunday.

Alice Hiatt, a resident of Patterson since 1913, has died at age 96.

50 years ago — April 4, 1938

Showing top animals in last Saturday’s local 4-H-FFA Junior Livestock Show were Charles Gustafson, Philip Alves, Henry Hass and Harley Boos. In the showmanship competition, Larry Mancebo, Johnny Azevedo Jr, and Danny Perez took top honors.

Pat Looney has been selected to attend Girls State.

Formal dedication of the new Sacred Heart School will take place May 5.

75 years ago — April 8, 1938

Three City Council seats are up for grabs this spring, but next week’s ballot will include the names of only two candidates — both incumbents. Filing for re-election are E.L. Fink and C.P. Peterson. Mayor J.S. Fiske, who has served 12 years on the panel, is not seeking another term.

Property owners in the lowlands are asking the state to clean the channel of the San Joaquin River as a means of alleviating flooding.

Hundreds of picnickers swarmed to Del Puerto Canyon last weekend, enjoying the sunshine after a very wet spring.

100 years ago — April 5, 1913

With this issue the publication day of the Patterson Irrigator is changed from Thursday to Saturday.

The contract with the Payne Investment Co. of Omaha to sell property in the Patterson Colony has expired, and the Patterson Ranch Co. has taken over the sales program. In the past two years, the Payne Investment Co. has sold about 8,000 acres for some $2 million. Since 1910, between 12,000 and 13,000 acres have been sold, bringing more than 800 families to this area.

A block of downtown sidewalks on the east side of South Third Street will soon be poured.

J.H. Evans of the new Evans Telephone Co., who handles the local street lights for PG&E, reports that someone has been tampering with the stitch located near the V.E. Browne residence.

Local gardener Joe Marchan, who has planned and planted much of the vegetation in Patterson’s parks, has purchased a home on E Street where he plans to put in a garden.

— Irrigator archives

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at news@pattersonirrigator.com.