Patterson’s Past
by Ron Swift | Patterson Irrigator
Jun 20, 2013 | 993 views | 0 0 comments | 257 257 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago – June 16, 1988

The Fixit-It Shop on North Third Street now has a guard on duty 24 hours a day. That would be a cat named Fix It Up, an acquisition of owner Clarence Wade.

This year’s city budget totals $4.7 million, up 58 percent over last year. The reason for the jump is capital improvement expenditures, those funds taken from the reserve account.

Lawrence Singleton, the merchant marine found guilty of cutting off the arms of a 15-year-old girl and leaving her in the hills west of Patterson in 1978, will be located in Florida after his release from prison where he has served eight years. The girl, Mary Vincent, survived.

Sam Cuellar was this week sworn in as a school trustees, filling a vacancy on the seven-member board.

50 years ago – June 20, 1963

Local golfers are making a push for a small pitch-and-putt golf course at the county’s new Laird Park.

Patterson High grad Ralph Koldinger has received his Doctor of Medicine degree from George Washington University.

Postmaster Richard Phillips has announced that the new ZIP code assigned to Patterson is 95363.

The Chamber of Commerce is strongly protesting the scheduled end of the bracero program that brings farmworkers into this country.

Local voters may decide as early as this fall whether the Patterson Union High School District and three local elementary districts should unify into one with a single set of trustees and one superintendent.

75 years ago – June 24, 1938

Facing overcrowded conditions at Patterson High, district trustees this week authorized the planning of an addition that might be financed by the federal government’s “lend-spend” program.

Las Palmas teacher Ben Mable has resigned to become principal of the Rising Sun School where he will succeed longtime principal C.A. Garrett who is retiring.

Thousands are expected to attend this weekend’s annual Pentecost celebration of the F.D.E.S. Society.

100 years ago – June 21, 1913

The local Norton-Everett Lumber Co. has dissolved its partnership, with Fremont Everett and his son Harold buying out the interest of Mr. Norton. Coming into the new corporation is G.W. Merwin, who has managed the Everett Lumber Co. in Newman.

The Kane-Berlin department store here will be managed by Harry Gerow, who has been running the dry goods department in Gustine for Miller & Lux.

Work has already started to plant 3000 eucalyptus trees in triple rows along M Street between Second Street and Ward Avenue. Town founder T.W. Patterson has authorized the Patterson Ranch Co. to undertake the project, which will serve as a windbreak. Last year numerous eucalyptuses were planted on L Street for the same purpose, but many of them died. They will be replaced.

T.W. Patterson has authorized construction of a new $12,000 garage building at the corner of Second Street, El Circulo and Del Puerto Avenue (now housing McAuley Ford). It will include a large storeroom as well as machine and blacksmith shops.

— Irrigator archives

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet

We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at