Almost $85,000 worth of scholarships were presented to graduating seniors that night, as well as the $61,350 presented May 14 at the Patterson Recognizing Individuals Determined to Excel scholarship ceremony, totaling almost $150,000 in monies for local high school graduates.
Kathy Vetrro-Martinez, Patterson High School counselor, said these figures — coupled with financial aid packages for students — should bring the seniors up to more than $1 million in funds to help them with college.
One of the larger awards given on May 21 went to Tampong James Shugan, who received the Northern California Scholarship Foundations scholarship for a grand total of $32,000. The money will be distributed at the rate of $8,000 a year over his four-years at University of California, Los Angeles.
Another larger scholarship winning include the Stanislaus County Office of Education Access Scholarship, which was presented to 16 recipients this year for a total of $34,750. PHS seniors Sandy Luo and Amy Saini received the highest amounts at $3,000 apiece.
Raquel Perez Zuniga received a total of $4,500 in scholarships, namely from the Central Valley Opportunity Center Scholarship for $1,500 and Access Scholarship for $3,000.
Karissa Allmon took home $3,300 in scholarship money from the Access Scholarship, $2,500; Vincent De Paul Thrift Shop Scholarship, $500 and Yosemite Farm Credit Union, $300.
Lindsay Brooks came away with the $3,000 Teresa Lara Memorial Lion’s Club Scholarship.
The graduating class had 17 valedictorians that finished high school with perfect grades. They are Ethan Albrigo, Grainne “Gracie” Bradley, Lindsay Brooks, Jennifer Camberos, Alex Collazo-Zavala, Michael D’Onofrio, Edward Hidalgo, Sam Lee, Sandy Luo, Blake Mahan, Megan McWilliams, John Minton, Paul Pineda, Tanapong James Shugan, Terra Vaid, Lizvette Villafana and Marissa Wellons.
Scholarships and awards given on May 21 are as follows:
Senior Class Officers: Janel Ortega, president; Stacey Perez; secretary and Yazmin Moreno, treasurer.
Associated Student Body Officers: Lindsay Brooks, president; Grainne Bradley, vice president; Monica Guzman, secretary; Sam Lee, treasurer; Shantel Perez and Michael D’Onofrio, commissioners of athletics; Gary Singh and Lizvette Villafana, commissioners of publicity; Marena Chum and Dae’nisha Lyles, dance commissioners; Jennifer Camberos and Janette Garibay-Ruiz, renaissance representatives; I'mia Lawson, ambassador representative; Raven Samano and Ashton Young, commissioners of spirit; Denise Ruiz and Megan McWilliams, school site council representative; Adryal Barrera, historian and Mikaela Green, after school program commissioners.
• PHS Tiger Depot Scholarship: Adelita Contreras, $250; Janette Ruiz-Garibay, $250; Lacie Goddu, $250; Raquel Gomez, $250; Brandi Pearson, $250; Raquel Yarely Perez, $250; Cody Wisbar, $250; Jerome Aguilar Rodea, $250; Marena Chum, $750;
Daisy Elenes Bojorquez, $250 and Shantel Perez, $500.
• Associated Student Body Scholarship: Shantel Perez, $250; Janel Ortega, $250 and Sam Lee, $250.
• Theresa Lara Memorial/Patterson Lion’s Club Scholarship: Lindsay Brooks, $3,000.
n Kids Helping Kids: Itzel Garcia, $300.
• Central Valley Opportunity Center Scholarship: Raquel Perez Zuniga, $1,500
• Stanislaus County Office of Education Access Student-College Access Foundation of California: Sandy Luo, $3,000; Jasmine Duarte, $750; Guadalupe Gallardo, $2,000; Dae'nisha Lyles, $2,500; Raquel Perez Zuniga, $3,000; Elvia Ramirez, $2,000; Fabiola Rodriguez, $2,000; Lorena Ruelas, $2,000; Denise Ruiz, $2,000; Victoria Tamayo, $2,000; Deici Torres Diaz, $2,000; Amy Saini, $3,000; Karissa Allmon, $2,500;Lizvette Villafana, $1,000; Emmanuel Perez, $2,500; and Raven Samano, $2,500.
• St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Shop Scholarship: Karissa Allmon, $500 and Jennifer Camberos, $500.
• California Scholastic Federation Members-Life Membership: Lizvette Villafana, Sarah Carranza, Paul Pineda, John Minton and Tanapong Shugan
• California Scholastic Federation Members-Life Membership Highest Honor: Sandy Luo, Jennifer Camberos, Sam Lee, Terra Vaid and Megan McWilliams
• Parent Institute for Quality Education: Jennifer Camberos, $500
• Patterson Association of Teachers: Michael D'Onofrio, $1,000 and Lizvette Villafana, $1,000
• 2013 PHS Parent English Learners Advisory Committee Scholarship: Diana Garcia Espinoza, $200; Eily Gema Medina, $200; Emmanuel Perez, $200;Uriel Eguino, $100; Edward Hidalgo, $100; Moises Gomez, $50.
• California School Employee Association Scholarship: Edward Hidalgo, $250.
• Patterson Gridiron Club- John Barbaste Memorial Scholarship: Joseph Howard, $300 and Kristen Barnes, $300.
• Bright Family Foundation: Nassdira Solórzano, $1,000; Robert McDonnell, $1,000.
• Cabrillo Civic Clubs of California: Michael D’Onofrio, $500
• Daughters of the American Revolution/Good Citizenship Award: Jennifer Camberos
• FFA College Scholarships-Yosemite Farm Credit: Karissa Allmon
• FFA College Scholarships-Outstanding Senior Award: Karissa Allmon
• Patterson High School Theatre: Matilda McNamera and Leticia Francis
• Mitchell Gomes Memorial Track Scholarship: Megan McWilliams, $200.
• Western Athletic Conference Scholar-Athlete: John Minton and Grainne Bradley
• Grainger Scholarship: Myles O'Neill, $500
• Official Army Reserve National Scholar-Athlete: John Minton and Jennifer Camberos
• Northern California Scholarship Foundations:Tanapong James Shugan, $32,000
• Eleanor C. Scott Scholarship: Gabriel Ochoa, $500
• Golden State Seal Merit Diploma: Ethan Albrigo, Victoria Bellini, John Brouse,
Jennifer Camberos, Alex Collazo-Zavala, Eduardo Delgado Mendoza, Michael D’Onofrio, Alaura Filbin, Stephanie Frutos, Ximena Garcia, Zuset Hernandez, Edward Hidalgo, Imoni Higgs White, Joseph Howard, Jennay Huerta, Sam Lee, Sandy Luo, Dae'nisha Lyles, Blake Mahan, Carl Jacob Martin, Matilda McNamera, Megan McWilliams, Adam Melo, Valerie Pastor Castro, Emmanuel Perez, Steven Pham, Paul Pineda, Jonathan Rodriguez, Joseph Ruelas, Raven Samano, Tanapong Shugan, TerraVaid, Lizvette Villafana and Marissa Wellons.
• Seal of Multilingual Proficiency: Carlos Argueta, Jennifer Camberos, Harvey Corral Jr., Guadalupe Gallardo, Raquel Gomez, Janette Garibay-Ruiz, Jose Guerrero, Yazmin Moreno, Natalie Rios, Lorena Ruelas, Dali Valdes, Lizvette Villafana and Nancy Vivero
Contact Maddy Houk at 892-6187, ext. 22, or firstname.lastname@example.org.