Patterson’s Past
by Ron Swift | Patterson Irrigator
Jun 27, 2013 | 1041 views | 0 0 comments | 250 250 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago – June 23, 1988

The Patterson Irrigator is taking a survey of the community’s new residents, hoping to determine their likes and dislikes about Patterson.

An extreme shortage of migrant housing is being experienced in the Patterson area.

Patterson’s Pee Wee baseball team finished its season with a perfect 12-0 mark while playing in the county league. The team averaged over 20 runs a game and was coached by Ken Correia, Steve Reza and Chunky Castillo.

50 years ago – June 27, 1963

The new Masonic Temple was put to use this week for the first time when the Order of Eastern Star held a meeting on Tuesday evening. Kitchen equipment remains to be installed.

The Chamber of Commerce has completed its 95-page economic survey booklet.

Mr. and Mrs. John O. Olson have observed their 60th wedding anniversary.

Patricia Looney, to be a senior at Patterson High in the fall, was elected county recorder at Girls’ State held on the college campus at Davis.

75 years ago – June 24, 1938

The Patterson Fishermen’s Club is conducting a membership drive, with John Bertolosso signing up 26 the first morning.

The West Stanislaus Irrigation District and the El Solyo and Dos Rios ranches have received $11,000 in state emergency funding to repair levees damaged by spring floodwater.

High school teachers E.C. Stafford and R.A. Henry have resigned to accept better positions elsewhere.

100 years ago – June 28, 1913

Patterson’s first clean-up day, organized by the Special Civic Committee, has been termed a great success. As many teams were busy in the fields, it was necessary to hire one team and wagon to haul away trash.

The Patterson Concert Band, hoping to raise money for uniforms, will perform Saturday night at the Patterson Theater.

The Church of the Brethren will host a community picnic on July 4 at the Patterson Park near the San Joaquin River.

The Methodist Church has secured its first pastor, Rev. Warmer, who will begin his duties here July 6. The Methodists will have their final service with the Presbyterians this Sunday, and then will probably hold services in the Leverton Building.

Patterson farms are averaging two tons of hay to the acre this season.

Nineteen eighth graders from Patterson and one from Grayson have passed their county eighth grade examinations and may enter high school in the fall.

— Irrigator archives

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at news@pattersonirrigator.com.