Patterson's Past
by Ron Swift
Aug 15, 2013 | 835 views | 0 0 comments | 217 217 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago – August 12, 1988

Planning is underway for Patterson’s Picnic in the Park, an event sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce to welcome newcomers to the community. It will be held Sept. 25.

Janet Schali has retired after many years with the Postal Service.

States Homes, Inc. has begun sales in its new 109-home subdivision on the city’s east side.

The Clothes Closet, a local organization that provides apparel to needy families, is closing its doors late this week. It will reopen only if it finds another location.

50 years ago – August 15, 1963

Retired well driller Bill Hurd stopped by the Irrigator office this week and renewed his subscription for the 52nd consecutive year, never having missed an issue.

Larry Buehner, a member of the Patterson High FFA, took the top award in the FFA agricultural mechanics division at the county fair. He built a double flat-bed trailer.

Adeline Rapp of Crows Landing was the fair’s sweepstakes winner in the home economics division, bringing home 31 ribbons. The top honor was a repeat as she has won four previous times. Daughters Julie Ann garnered 27 ribbons, while daughters Shirley and Denise added 10 more.

75 years ago – August 12, 1938

The City Council learned this week that Patterson’s expenses for the past year totaled $11,032, while receipts were $11,308 – thus the balance ending in the black. The city now has a cash balance of $9016.

The council is considering the construction of a new city hall building, its cost estimated at just over $15,000. The city currently has no debt.

100 years ago – August 16, 1913

The strong disagreement between William Aspe and N.W. Jones and S.S. Strauss continues to sprout ill will. Judge Walden of Newman was in Patterson last Saturday to meet with the parties in the office of attorney Heil, and within minutes, a verbal battle broke out that entertained townspeople who were listening outside the building. Strauss’ truck had been seized as security for a bill owned at the Hotel Del Puerto, operated by Mrs. Aspe. Fisticuffs at the hotel a couple of weeks ago brought the issue to a head. The truck has now been released, but the argument continues.

An insurance agent was in town last week and first went to Yancey Lumber on a business matter, which he conducted with E.F. Morehouse. Then it was on to the grammar school where he gave an insurance quote to Wesley Morehouse. Then he looked up our town constable, Charles Morehouse. Having had enough, he left.

A first class boarding and rooming house is being opened on North Fourth Street by Mrs. Herman Selbach.

A man named Ham is the new telegraph operator at the Southern Pacific depot.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at news@pattersonirrigator.com.