Three more local firefighters have flown to Yosemite National Park to battle its major inferno.
A consultant has told city government that Patterson’s future growth will involve traffic problems.
School district trustees list the 3-R’s and drug education at the top of their list of goals.
Bob Kimball and James Mahaffey Jr. have received the prestigious Hiram Award from the Patterson Masonic Lodge.
Josh Renfrow and Joe Davis have won first place honors at the county and state fairs for their best of class table in metal work.
50 years ago – September 19, 1963
The Patterson Lumber Co. has been sold to J.W. Copeland Yards, headquartered in Portland. John Jeans will continue as manager.
The rural area of the West Side will soon receive house numbers.
Boy Scouts Joe Medeiros and Ronald Richter have earned the Eagle rank.
Two Patterson residents will tonight receive their citizenship papers. They are Norberta Carter and Frances Wong. Participating in the ceremony will be the Boy Scouts, Explorer Scouts, Girl Scouts, American Legion and the Naturalized Citizens Club.
75 years ago – September 16, 1938
Patterson High’s enrollment stands at a record high – 256.
Some $50 in cash and gum was taken by someone who went through the roof of the Safeway Store on Del Puerto Avenue.
The city’s property tax rate will remain at $1 per $100 assessed valuation, the same as it has been since the city was incorporated.
The City Council is considering several possible locations for Patterson’s new city hall. They include the Center Building and the northwest corner of Las Palmas Avenue and Highway 33 in the downtown park.
100 years ago – September 20, 1913
Crows Landing farmers claim they are receiving insufficient irrigator water from the Miller & Lux Co. and may ask the State Railroad Commission, which has jurisdiction over such matters, to get involved in the argument.
A $35,000 addition onto the Patterson Grammar School has been completed, albeit seven days late, costing the contractor $350 in fees. That’s more than its original cost in 1911. Patterson’s rapid growth created the need for the Mission style addition, which has a large auditorium and accommodates the new high school which opened early this month.
The Evans Telephone Co. has installed three more phones.
Patterson’s branch library will now be open two hours a day, Monday through Saturday. Librarian Vada Fink has, until now, kept hours only two days a week.