The city has authorized $3,000 to go toward roof repair at the Center Building, which houses Patterson’s museum.
The recent drought years are catching up with area farmers, who may receive very little federally-allocated water this next year.
Building permits totaling over $17 million in construction were issued during the first eight months of the year, surpassing the record $16 million total for all of last year. In less than three years, Patterson’s construction has topped $50 million, mostly in new homes.
50 years ago – September 26, 1963
A committee of speakers has been formed to get out the word about unification of the high school and three elementary districts. Area voters will make the unification decision late next month. On the committee are Dean Houk, Martin Bronzan, Dr. Walton Allen and Dr. Frank Reimer.
Patterson’s second Art Festival to be held downtown Oct. 5 has already received over 100 entries. The Patterson Irrigator sponsors the event.
Plans by Southern Pacific to discontinue the Owl, the only passenger train service on the West Side, have been dropped for the time being.
75 years ago – September 23, 1938
The Patterson Ranch Company has donated land at the corner of West Las Palmas Avenue and El Circulo for a new city hall. Voters will decide next week on a proposed $10,000 bond issue for the new structure, which will also accommodate the fire department. The federal government is expected to contribute $9,000 toward the project and the county another $1,000.
The Brethren Church on West Las Palmas Avenue, which hasn’t been used for many years, has been rented by Grace Friedrich, who is renovating the building. It will be used as a meeting site by various organizations, including the Townsend Club.
The Patterson Wheelers cycling club has organized activities for the fall. Chatlin Campbell is the new president and Freda Hansen the vice president.
Patterson High will open its football season at home next Thursday afternoon against Brentwood.
100 years ago – September 27, 1913
The county plans to gravel more roads in and around Patterson.
J.E. Norton has succeeded J.M. Kerr as the local agent for the Wells Fargo Express Company. Norton will be out of the office in the early morning and late afternoon hours, as he drives one of the school transportation wagons.
Local farmers are having much success with growing Egyptian corn.
Arthur Bishop has opened a bicycle shop, offering new two-wheelers as well as repair work.
Several wagon-loads of gypsies set up camp Sunday near the cattle yards, but were soon moved on by Deputy Constable Blue.
A 600-pound bell has been ordered for the Patterson Grammar School. The only other bell in the community is the fire bell, with the exception of a few dinner bells, cow bells and society belles.