Patterson's Past
by Ron Swift | Patterson Irrigator
Oct 10, 2013 | 832 views | 0 0 comments | 180 180 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago – October 6, 1988

The Apricot Fiesta’s colorful float took first place in the Lodi Grape Festival parade’s commercial division.

The Patterson District Cemetery has added a small area for the burial of urns.

Developer Kaufman and Broad reports considerable interest from potential buyers as framing begins in its new California Palms 158-home subdivision on Patterson’s east side.

Parents of east Patterson youngsters have grouped together to lodge complaints about safety issues at their neighborhood school bus stop.

50 years ago – October 10, 1963

Three out of five members of the City Council agree that Patterson should continue collecting its own property taxes, as it has done since incorporation in 1919. The option, which it was noted would not save the city money, is for the county to handle the collections.

Winners of the annual Punt, Pass & Kick Contest held by the Bessey Motor Co. are Bruce Wilkinson, Doug Picha, Jere Warden and Bob Hansen.

Students at the new Sacred Heart School conducted their first paper drive, which has a goal of 20,000 pounds. They came close, as 19,610 pounds were gathered. Students Cathy Bays and Larry Martin won prizes by guessing 19,500 pounds.

75 years ago – October 7, 1938

A service station at the south edge of Westley, owned by Joe Merchan, has been leased by Wayland Fink. It is currently being renovated.

John Grischott, doing extermination work in the Westley area, escaped serious injury when his clothes caught fire after absorbing a chemical solution. He jumped into a nearby irrigation canal to douse the flames.

Glenn Hamilton played three quarters of the game last Saturday for Stanford, which lost to Santa Clara.

The Patterson and Gustine football teams will open the league season this Friday night in Merced as a part of the Merced-Mariposa Fair.



100 years ago – October 11, 1913

A Patterson Irrigated Farms exhibit at last week’s Fresno District Fair attracted many people interested in this fledgling community’s growth.

High school trustees are considering a bond election to construct a $40,000 building suitable for the educational needs of the community. The exact location of the building has not been determined. However, town founder T.W. Patterson has volunteered to donate the land. One possibility is on West Las Palmas Avenue beyond the grammar school, facing downtown. The roadway would be rebuilt to circle the building.

Wide sidewalks are being poured around the new Patterson Garage at El Circulo, North Del Puerto Avenue, and Second Street. Electroliers will also light up Del Puerto to the garage.

Bicycle riding on downtown sidewalks may soon be stopped.

-Irrigator Archives

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at news@pattersonirrigator.com.