Patterson's Past
Oct 16, 2013 | 945 views | 0 0 comments | 173 173 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Patterson's Past

25 years ago – October 13, 1988

Some local residents did not receive their city utility bills early this month. They apparently were lost in the mail.

City staffers and members of the Patterson Township Historical Society had some anxious moments late last week. A contractor had torn the roofing material off the Center Building that serves as Patterson’s museum, and then had to wait an additional day for it to be decided just how the new material would be installed. The structure is city-owned.

The Patterson Recreation Commission is pressing the City Council to move ahead with plans for a new community sports park.

Two-story homes in the new Shire Park subdivision on Patterson southwest side will make up 75 percent of the new units, the developer has announced.

Boy Scout Tim Hulen, son of David and Vicki Hulen of Patterson, received his Eagle badge in a ceremony held last Saturday evening. He is a sophomore at Patterson High.

50 years ago – October 17, 1963

A new organization, Friends of the Library, is currently being formed, according to local librarian Kathleen Spooner. Work, including the coating of the basement walls to prevent flooding that has plagued the structure, is presently underway.

Ernie Moeller is the new scoutmaster of Boy Scout Troop 81. He is being assisted by Leo Halseth.

Local voters will go to the polls next Tuesday to decide whether the high school district and the area’s three elementary districts – Patterson, Grayson and Rising Sun – should combine into one. The change would drop the number of school boards from four to one, with one district superintendent.

75 years ago – October 14, 1938

Wong Sing has assumed management of the restaurant in the Watson & Mack establishment, closing the Klean Kafe, which he has operated for many years.

The Patterson chapter of the Order of Eastern Star observed its 15th anniversary this week

Peter Grischott and John Relvas are the official delegates to the state FFA convention in Fresno.

100 years ago – October 18, 1913

Talk is back about a roadway from San Jose over Mt. Hamilton to Stanislaus County. Plans for road improvements in Santa Clara County up to the Lick Observatory are moving along.

A Patterson Farmers Institute will be held here in December, organized by the University of California at Berkeley.

One of the first social activities at the new Patterson High School will be a Halloween masquerade party, currently being planned by teachers and students.

Construction work has started on a new rural elementary school to serve youngsters residing in the north area of the Colony. Contractor W.C. Spaulding has sublet the work to Burton Morgan and D.C. Stevens. Work is expected to take about six weeks, at which time a site may be deeded for a second school in the south Colony.

Patterson’s branch library has the largest circulation of books in the country, topping the Oakdale and Newman branches.

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at news@pattersonirrigator.com.