Patterson's Past
Jan 07, 2014 | 2011 views | 0 0 comments | 174 174 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago – January 12, 1989

A standing-room only crowd in the Sacred Heart Catholic Church last Saturday gave its final respects to long-time business and civic leader Mario Ielimini, co-founder of Patterson Frozen Foods. He was 86.

Pressure is mounting for the city of Patterson to grow westward toward I-5 on both sides of Sperry Avenue. Should that occur, it is predicted that the city’s population could double to triple from its current 7,500.

The Navy base at Crows Landing is planning to mark its 45th anniversary with a reunion to which all retired personnel are invited. It is being scheduled for May 25.

50 years ago – January 9, 1964

The Patterson branch library is now open four evenings a week from 7-9 p.m.

Patterson’s Ernie Rose will receive the 5-foot Cal Cup trophy from the Modesto Yacht Club for upping the world record to over 79 mph in the B-runabout inboard class.

County Park Commission members will meet with West Side representatives to discuss proposed plans for the new Laird Park near Grayson.

The first baby born at Del Puerto Hospital in the New Year didn’t arrive until Jan. 4. He was a son born to the Everett Segovianos of Patterson.

75 years ago – January 6, 1939

Bids for construction at the high school of an auditorium as well as science and home economics buildings were received, the low bid coming in under $100,000, the budgeted amount. However, this did not include furnishings. For that reason, school trustees dropped the home economics building from the project to get the construction cost down to about $70,000.

Patterson’s postal receipts again were strong the last 12 months and show a gain of 52 percent over the past four years, according to Postmaster A.P. Ralston.

100 years ago – January 10, 1914

Although wet weather has slowed work, contractor J.E. Johnston reports he has poured some 18,000 square feet of concrete sidewalks and another nearly 1,000 lineal feet of curbs and gutters.

Two new grammar school teachers joined the faculty after the first of the year. One replaces Maxine O’Keefe who has accepted a position in San Jose. The other teacher has been hired to teach in the new school in the north colony, although the school has not yet opened because of muddy roads and wet conditions. She is Erla Mock of Los Gatos. The building has not been officially accepted by the trustees and the seats have not been installed.

Lige Hays, son of B.W. Hays, has won the Indian motorcycle given in a holiday raffle by the Kane-Berlin Co. The business is currently selling women’s coats for as low as $4.50.

Irrigator Archives

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet

We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at