Patterson's Past
Apr 01, 2014 | 778 views | 0 0 comments | 142 142 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago – April 6, 1989

Residents of Westley are about to put to use a new water system being provided by the Westley Community Services District. Homes and businesses have been relying on private wells for decades.

While Del Puerto Hospital experienced in February one of its top fiscal months in history, its directors have voted 4-1 to cancel its Medi-Cal contract with the state, citing the low reimbursement rate.

The city’s Beautification Committee wants input from the public before it submits a plan to create a new park at Sunflower and Nicastro drives.

50 years ago – April 2, 1964

A 50-year history of Patterson Union High School will be written by 10 members of Ted Jackson’s American history class. All are juniors and Rani Goutiere is heading the project.

The future usage of the new Laird Park near Grayson will soon be decided by the county Planning Commission. A West Side group has been promoting a 9-hole pitch-and-putt golf course.

The Patterson Lions Club will spend between $3,000 and $4,000 to purchase 50 new band uniforms for the high school.

75 years ago – March 31, 1939

The Chamber of Commerce and 20-30 clubs are jointly sponsoring an Easter egg hunt on April 8.

The Grayson School will send sixth, seventh and eighth-graders to Treasure Island.

Charles Correia is holding an open house reception tonight at his remodeled clothing store on South Third Street.

100 years ago – April 4, 1914

Attorney Dudley Kinsell of Oakland is the new president of the Patterson Ranch Co., succeeding T.W. Patterson who died last month. Kinsell and Patterson were closely associated in business and the new president has served as the company’s legal counsel since its inception five years ago. J.D. Patterson of Woodstock, Ontario, Canada is vice president and W.W. Patterson of Oakland is secretary. The company’s main office is moving from Fresno to Oakland. C.M. Paddock, sales manager for Patterson Irrigated Farms, will remain in that position.

Plans are afoot to construct a community gymnasium.

Local farmers have met and formed the Patterson Producers Association—its purpose being to operate a marketing operation.

Dr. L.C. Perdue has retired his noisy “Bucking Susie” and replaced it with a new Model T Ford.

In a return meeting, the Patterson High boys beat Gustine on the latter’s court, while girls tied at 4-all. Justice Christopherson starred for Patterson, and Frank Latta for Gustine.

—Ron Swift, museum curator

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at news@pattersonirrigator.com.