Patterson's Past
Apr 30, 2014 | 1165 views | 0 0 comments | 101 101 recommendations | email to a friend | print
25 years ago – May 4, 1989

The city has proposed a 31 percent increase in garbage rates.

Twenty-three students, most of them at Patterson High School, were arrested in a narcotic sting Tuesday morning. Warrants for eight others are pending.

Offices on the Planning Commission rotated this week, with Mary Solorio-Brandt becoming chairman and Robert Glick vice-chairman.

For the second year in a row, Boy Scout Troop 81 of Patterson took top honors at the Scout Fair in Turlock.

John V. Azevedo has been presented a plaque made from wood salvaged from the original high school building for his dedicated service to the Patterson Township Historical Society. He has served as the museum’s curator. Society President Tom Klein made the presentation as the Chamber of Commerce’s annual dinner.

50 years ago – April 30, 1964

For the first time, the West Side will not solely make up Supervisorial District 5. The county board this week approved expanding its boundaries to include land east of the San Joaquin River.

Merlin Thorkelson will become the new president of the Lions Club, succeeding Andy

Barsamian. W.T. Boyarsky will become the next president of the Rotary Club.

The annual West Side Relays, one of the better invitational track meets in the valley, will be held this Saturday on the local track.

In as good a high school diamond game as you will ever hope to see, the Tigers’ Dan Gray no-hit the visiting Gustine Redskins to win 2-1 in eight innings. The two teams are now tied atop the Southern League standings with 6-1 records. Mike Pace, who had walked, scored the winning run when Mike Germolus singled.

75 years ago – April 28, 1937

The American’s annual 12th District picnic, hosted this year by the Legion’s local post, will be held Sunday in Del Puerto Canyon near the county’s road camp. State officers are expected to attend.

The city and county are exploring ways to collect delinquent taxes on some 650 lots owned by the Patterson Ranch Co., the town’s original developer.

Four local churches have combined for the United Churches Welfare Organization. It will administer the handing out of food and clothing to the needy.

100 years ago – May 2, 1914

The Home and School Association has endorsed a plan to erect a gymnasium for the use of young people.

Excavation work started Tuesday for the new high school building. Construction work is scheduled to be completed by October.

A noted San Francisco sculptor, whose mother lives within the area, has predicted that Patterson will become “one of the most beautiful cities in California.”

A shipment of three dozen frogs from Honolulu arrived this week and will be used by William Aspe to start a frog farm on his Almond Avenue property.

— Ron Swift, Museum Curator

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet


We encourage your online comments in this public forum, but please keep them respectful and constructive. This is not a forum for personal attacks, libelous statements, profanity or racist slurs. Readers may report such inappropriate comments by e-mailing the editor at news@pattersonirrigator.com.