One in five responders to the city’s growth survey prepared and run in this newspaper indicate they favor growth to 20,000-plus.
The just-ended 1988-89 rainfall season was Patterson’s sixth driest in recorded history. It totaled 6.02 inches of moisture. The average here is 10.56 inches.
Local architect Don Keller has been appointed to the Citizens Advisory Committee of the Stanislaus Area Association of Governments.
The Arredondo softball team stayed unbeaten last weekend to capture the championship of local D tournament that drew 10 teams. The winner topped Ingarmar Plastic Pipes 4-3 in the title game.
50 years ago – July 9, 1964
Patterson’s Ernie Rose will be at the helm of his Lil’ Bee this weekend—and he will be gunning for his sixth national championship in the B runabout class. He previously won in 1954, 1956 through 1958 and 1960. The race will be held at Lake Merced.
Bill Ralston has been honored by the Yancey Lumber Co. with a dinner at the Del Puerto Hotel. He has been with the company for 50 years and has no plans to retire.
Several youngsters in the north end of Patterson held a “carnival” that included having your fortune told for a penny. They were Bob Hicks, Kay Stewart, Jim Wilkinson, Bill Hicks, Jim Hicks and Paul Draper, who hosted the event.
75 years ago – July 7, 1937
Rush work to construct a brush dam across the San Joaquin River to provide additional irrigation water for West Stanislaus Irrigation District farmers was completed in eight days. It diverts water to the district’s intake and is 200 feet long.
The Past Actives Club, an outgrowth of the Patterson 20-30 Club, has drilled sidewalk holes in front of some 50 downtown businesses so that the district may be decorated with flags on holidays.
Joseph Manetti has purchased property near the intersection of Highway 33 and Ward Avenue and plans to construct a service station that will be leased by Walter Germolus.
A group of University of California students is this summer looking for Indian mounds along the San Joaquin River between Stockton and Tulare Lake, including the Patterson area.
100 years ago – July 11, 1914
Constable J.M. Kerr, appointed to the new position in April, will now seek election to the post. He’s lived on the West Side since 1881. He came to Patterson four years ago when he went into business. He’s currently president of the Chamber of Commerce.
The Bank of Patterson directors have moved C.A. Sperry up from vice president to head the board. He succeeds town founder T.W. Patterson who died early this year.
Fire that started on the Frank Cox ranch swept through the Grayson cemetery on Tuesday, destroying many of the wooden crosses that mark grave sites.
By RON SWIFT, museum curator