The West Side Healthy Lifestyle Contest 2010 needs a Patterson team to take part in its “Biggest Loser” contest. Teams are already registered in Newman and Gustine.
The contest will kick off the second year of the group’s healthy-lifestyle education campaign, “Healthier Choices for Our West Side.”
Teams will consist of 10 members, and applications will be accepted until July 23. The official weigh-in kickoff will be Aug. 12 at the second Healthy Choices Summit at the West Side Theatre, 1331 Main St., in Newman. The final weigh-in will be Oct. 2 in Patterson with location to be announced.
Each team will be weighed cumulatively. If any team does not have all 10-roster members in attendance, it will be forced to forfeit. The team that loses the most weight collectively between Aug. 12 and Oct. 2 will be declared winner of the contest.
The contest aims to promote friendly competition between local groups and businesses and to encourage healthy habits.
For information: Keith D. Boggs, 652-1514
School registration dates set
Doors will open Aug. 12 at the schools in Patterson Joint Unified School District.
Families new to the district may register their children on the following days and times, at the appropriate schools.
All schools require each child’s immunization card and birth certificate, along with proof of physical street address (such as a utility bill), at the time of registration.
• Elementary schools — Apricot Valley, 1320 Henley Parkway; Las Palmas, 624 W. Las Palmas Ave.; Northmead, 625 L St.; and Walnut Grove, 775 N. Hartley St.: Starting Aug. 2, 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Grayson Charter School, 301 Howard Road, in Westley: Starting Aug. 3, 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Creekside Middle School, 535 Peregrine Drive: Beginning Aug. 2, 8 a.m. to noon and from 1 to 3 p.m. A copy of each child’s transcripts, either official or unofficial, should be taken to register.
• Patterson High School, counseling office, 200 N Seventh St: Aug. 5, 8 a.m. to noon and 4 to 7 p.m. In addition to the above requirements, parents should take a copy of each child’s transcripts, CAHSEE scores for 11th- or 12th-graders, and any special education, court order or foster agency documentation.
• Del Puerto High School, 640 M St.: July 28, 9 to 11 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m. Starting Aug. 3, parents may call 892-7463 for an appointment if they are unable to register July 28.